Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ivy League

My first trip to Connecticut and my first Ivy league experience at Yale! I was invited to give a seminar in the atmo and climate at Yale by an old Worcester Sixth Form College and Worcester Swim Club alum who is currently working there - thanks Andy!

I drove down on Thursday morning (it's less than 3 hours away) through the beautiful Berkshires. I really wish I had stopped and taken some pictures but hopefully I'll get to go back sometime soon. After arriving, having lunch and doing sciency things like meeting with various people and giving a seminar (which went well I think) I took a walk through campus and had "New Haven" style pizza for dinner. This included pizza with mash potato as a topping. It wasn't bad actually, but it pretty much tasted exactly what you would think mash potato on top of pizza would taste like!

I didn't take all that many pictures of campus but here are a few highlights. Certainly a lot nicer than any other campus' that I've been at in the US! Here is the rare book library. The windows are marble so that the books don't get damaged.

Rare book library
This is the main library. It kinda looks like a big church and even has an alter like structure and paintings at one end. I was told that some scenes from the newest Indiana Jones movie were filmed here - Indie riding a motor bike through a library? - which I'm sure is true I just have zero recollections of it from the movie!

Library

Yale Law School
 Shhh... don't tell anyone, secret society building... no windows.


Secret Society Building!
 I can certainly see why people want to go to schools like Yale, assuming the other Ivy league schools have a similar feel. Even the new buildings are made to look like older buildings, not like the concrete campus' I've been working at! I drove back the next day although I took the quicker interstate way which was faster but not as pretty.

Check Connecticut off the list!

Sorry I didn't write a whole lot, my upstairs neighbours are stomping around like elephants and it's driving me crazy. I hope we don't sound like that to our downstairs neighbours!

No comments:

Post a Comment