Wednesday, September 19, 2012

All the fun of the oral surgeon...

At my last dentist cleaning in August the dentists finally convinced me to have my wisdom teeth taken out. They had started to poke through a couple of years ago and were partially erupted on one side and still under the gum on the other side. They hadn't been giving me any problems but they convinced me that they would start getting infected and the sooner they came out the better. The American attitude to wisdom teeth is very different to the British attitude. America... take them out asap even if they haven't come through or hurt you. British... take them out only if they are causing you pain. I never would have had them out if I was at home!!

So yesterday was the big day. I opted for IV sedation (unlike my badass officemate who did it with just local anesthetic!) as I'm a huge wimp. Matt had the afternoon off work to be my nurse. They were running a little late at the dentist so I had to wait about 20-25 minutes past my appointment time which made my nerves even worse. But fortunately, the procedure itself wasn't that bad. I did pass out just after they put the IV in, but I blame that on taking longer to search for a vein in my elbow joint before going with my hand, yuck!! After I woke up from the pass out I heard them saying to wait till my pulse got higher and then I woke up and it was done!

I think it only took about 30 minutes but I needed to rest at the dentist for a while before Matt could take me home (almost an hour I think). I really didn't like having the gauze in my mouth so it was good to get home and take that out. I feel better today than yesterday but the left side of my mouth is still really sore and swollen and I'm struggling to eat much. On the water and milk diet so far!

Anyway, just thought I'd let the blog world know that if I can get through this then anyone can. I just hope it doesn't take too long to heal. I'm def not ready to show my face in the real world yet and this is why.....!!!
Yuck!!! Chipmunk Ellie is in hiding!

1 comment:

  1. Well done for all your hard work in providing this high quality blog.Thanks for great information you write it very clean.

    ReplyDelete