Friday, May 24, 2013

Detox

 
I read an article in Vegetarian Times magazine about a 3 day detox and decided to give it a try. It wasn't one of those crazy detoxes where you only drink lemon water and eat grapes, you got to eat real food the whole time. It focused on 7 main foods:

1. Beets
2. Broccoli
3. Lentils
4. Almonds
5. Avocado
6. Spinach
7. Blueberries

I really like 5 of them, can tolerate one and am not a big fan of one (I'll leave you to figure out which is which) so I thought it was worth a try. The recipes focused on these 7 foods with a few extra vegetables, olive oil and raw honey. No dairy, wheat or added sugar in sight.

It consisted of 3 meals a day plus snacks. Breakfast was beet and blueberry smoothies which actually turned out nice once I got the amount of honey figured out. Lunch and dinner were a broccoli and lentil salad, broccoli stir fry with ginger-avocado sauce and a lentil borscht (i.e. beet soup). Snacks included almonds, apples and a beet and lentil hummus which was quite delicious.

It was quite easy to do this for 3 days. I was never really hungry (well no hungrier than normal anyway) but I think I did up my water intake as well.

Are my liver and kidneys detoxified - I have no idea! But do I feel better after doing it - yes! Is this feeling real or a placebo - who knows! I somehow lost 3 pounds during the 3 days, which was not what I expected.

Yesterday was the first day after the detox and I had some Greek yoghurt and Fiber One for breakfast (dairy and carbs!) and salads for dinner. I feel more bloated today so perhaps I do need to pay more attention to what I eat and how it makes me feel.

I think I eat pretty healthy most of the time, but this detox did open my eyes to trying new things and incorporating more variety into my diet (more lentils for sure, yum). Still not convinced about beets though.

No comments:

Post a Comment