Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Final Summer in NY: Part I

We decided we had to have one more visit to NYC before moving to Oklahoma and the perfect opportunity arose when some friends from Texas said they'd be in NYC for a few days and we should go hang out. We took the train down on Saturday morning and after a stop at the hotel we headed to the Museum of Modern Art.

I'm no art critic but for the most part I enjoyed it - especially when it was paintings I actually recognized! Admittedly, some of the "art" I didn't really understand. I guess I'm just not that cultured. Matt even went in one of the "interactive" exhibits which was supposed to represent being born!

This is the sort of art I don't understand

But this one was more familiar

Matt being "reborn" involved balloons apparently

After the museum we had some lunch and caught some of the football (this was world cup round of 16 time). The we went up to Central Park and spent the rest of the afternoon wondering through the park and enjoying the sunshine. It was a lovely day and the park was packed with people enjoying it.

We met up with some friends for dinner and had a really delicious dinner at central American place. I had some really good ceviche and some fish ribs. The ribs took some figuring out but were really flavourful and I would definitely eat them again. This was followed by a walk through Times Square (our friends had never been to NYC before) and back to hotel.

The Empire State building lit up rainbow style for Gay Pride!

We spent most of the Sunday downtown in Battery Park and Wall Street before finding a place to watch the Mexico vs Netherlands game. We ended up in a British pub and had a great time. It was packed with people watching the game and it made it a lot of fun.



The afternoon we headed over to Ground Zero. We had hoped to go to the museum that had recently opened but you needed to get tickets in advance - there was a huge queue even for people with tickets. We ended up going to the museum put together by the families, which was much smaller but just as poignant. I won't say a lot about it, but I'm very glad I got to go.





For dinner we found a great Korean restaurant in the penthouse of a building in Korea town. Not only did we get great food but we had a great view that really topped off a wonderful weekend in the city. The train home was busy but the sunset over the Hudson was beautiful. Matt wouldn't know because he was asleep!

I <3 NY


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog, Ellie. I dont remember any balloons being involved with the first birth of Matt. Haha. Must only have to do with "rebirth". Tell Matthew to let me know if I missed something.

    ReplyDelete