Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Shrove Tuesday

Shrove Tuesday has very different meanings in the UK and the US. Which one do you prefer?

UK.....


In the UK, today is Pancake Day (and by pancakes, we essential mean crepes rather than the US style pancakes). Why pancakes you may ask? Well, typically this is the day that you would use up food from your pantry (sugar, milk, eggs) before fasting for lent, hence pancakes. If you have never had a pancake with lemon and sugar then you are missing out! Then of course there is the tradition of flipping your pancake and even having pancake tossing races. Okay now I really want a pancake - I think I'll have some this weekend instead :-)

or US......



In the US, today is Mardi Gras (or fat Tuesday). Most people in the US associate Mardi Gras with the huge parades and parties in New Orleans, Louisiana. No pancakes here, just partying and king cakes. Now, King cakes are still a little strange to me. Cake, yes. Cake with a small plastic baby inside representing Jesus, ummm ok. Whoever finds the baby in their piece gets to be King or Queen for the day though!


So you decide... I must admit I really do miss Pancake Day!!

3 comments:

  1. So, what you are saying is, it will be acceptable for me to throw pancakes in the air when I'm in England next year for Shrove Tuesday? This is awesome ... We used to eat pancakes when I was growing up and I miss that tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes. (American variety with butter and maple syrup from Vermont). Can you guess my favorite story as a child? Matthew might know.

    ReplyDelete