Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Swim, bike, run

Since January (stereotypical I know) I've been trying to lose a few pounds and get in better shape as I had started to look a little squidgy around the edges. I wasn't doing any kind of special fad diet or training for anything in particular, just trying to not snack as much and doing more exercise. I have been using a great app on my phone to keep track of everything called myfitnespal (there is also a website). It has really really helped me and it's great to see that weight graph headed downwards.

All was going well during the spring while I was playing polo and swimming hard four times a week. It was even going well during the summer when I replaced polo and swimming with running on the treadmill (it was just too hot outside) and lifting weights. The problem came when my parents came to visit us in Albany... two weeks of eating out at least once a day and almost no exercise. Lets just say a few pounds sneaked back on.

I needed a plan. There is no water polo team here (at least not one I can find). There aren't any coached masters swim workouts on this side of the city either. I am riding my bike to work every day, about 3 miles each way, so that was a start. I needed something and running was it.

I am not a runner. I never have been and never will be a runner but I know how fast it whips me back into shape. Matt is a good runner and so we've been heading out and running 3 times a week. This weekend we ran about 3 miles along some trails in the Albany Pine Bush. I somehow managed to trip about 5 times but not hit the ground (I don't think I'll be so lucky next time)! Last night we ran 4 miles around our neighbourhood. All you hardcore running people are probably thinking "4 miles, that's nothing", but I'm just happy that I ran the whole way despite it not even being close to flat.

I feel good after a run (until the dehydration headaches kick in), and it's got the weight loss back on track but I am craving the pool. I contacted the UAlbany swim club  and they have their first practice tonight so maybe, just maybe, I'll have some people to swim with. Perhaps I can even start doing some masters swim meets again!

No comments:

Post a Comment